Here are some quick factoids for your celebration pleasure:
- The name, 'guacamole' comes from an Aztec dialect meaning, "avocado sauce".
- In the early 1900’s avocados were called, "alligator pears"
- Avocado imports were banned in the early 1900’s by the US government
- One of the most popular varieties of avocado is the "Hass" avocado, named after a postal worker, Rudolph Hass
- Most popular days for guac? Super Bowl Sunday and Cinco de Maya
- It is estimated that over 50 million pounds of guacamole is consumed on Super Bowl Sunday
Yes, you can buy guacamole in the store - check out the produce refrigerator section. But, it’s pretty easy to make, too. Here are several varieties of guac to try out - maybe you should have a tasting party!
And if these recipes are too much for you - there’s nothing like mashed avocado on toast sprinkled with a little garlic salt. Just sayin’.
Celebrity Guacamole recipes tested by Buzz Feed
Classic Guacamole from Food Wishes & Chef John